I just finished an incredibly helpful book entitled, Helping Children to Understand the Gospel (published by Children Desiring God). Because children are so impressionable and will easily “repeat a prayer” or “raise their hand,” it is important that we clearly communicate the truth of the gospel in a way that is both simple and accurate.
This book offers ten devotionals that you can go through as a family, with a group of children, or even with parents of small children. Here are the ten topics that accompany the devotions.
1. Truth One: God is the sovereign Creator of all things.
2. Truth Two: God created people for His glory.
3. Truth Three: God is holy and righteous.
4. Truth Four: Man is sinful.
5. Truth Five: God is just and is right to punish sin.
6. Truth Six: God is merciful. He is kind to undeserving sinners.
7. Truth Seven: Jesus is God’s holy and righteous Son.
8. Truth Eight: God put the punishment of sinners on Jesus.
9. Truth Nine: God offers the free gift of salvation to those who repent and believe in Jesus.
10. Truth Ten: Those who trust in Jesus will live to please Him and will receive the promise of eternal life – enjoying God forever in heaven.
As a father of three (soon to be four), I am earnestly praying and passionately seeking the Lord for the salvation of my kids. This devotional tool will help me communicate clearly the truth of the gospel in a real, practical and powerful way. I will soon be teaching these truths during family worship!